As the hot, sharp, and penetrating qualities of summer begin to increase, I thought it would be advantageous to share a few Pitta pacifying tools for your Dinacharya, daily rituals. When you maintain harmony in your pitta energy, you'll delight in ample mental and physical energy and drive, mental clarity, joyfulness, vitality, and strength.
How do you keep our pitta dosha in check during these hot months? Here are few lifestyle tips for all three doshas types:
- Eat breakfast and lunch before noon: To naturally cool our bodies when temperatures start to flare up, our agni, digestive fire, reduces to a simmer. In fact, our appetites are the weakest during the hottest portion of the day. Try eating breakfast and lunch before noon + a light dinner when the sun begins to set.
- Stay Hydrated: Since the sun soaks up any excess moisture from our bodies, it’s okay to add a little extra salt to your food and be sure to drink AT LEAST 48 ounces of water each day. To be safe, fill that 32 oz water bottle twice.
- Avoid sun beams from 10am to 2pm: Do your best to avoid direct exposure to the sun during the peak pitta hours of 10am – 2pm. Integrate your workout in the early morning or late evening.If you are required to spend time outdoors during this time, wear loose clothing made of cotton or silk so your skin can breathe. You can also wear colors that reflect the sunlight, such as white, blue, green, or gray. Along with cooling jewelry made with sandalwood beads, jade, pearl, amethyst crystals, moonstone crystals, or silver.
- Adjust your bedtime: It can feel a little odd settling into bed when can still see the sun shining. On summer nights, push your bedtime to 10-11 p.m. once the sun’s heat has dissipated. To activate your energy channel associated with the cooling moon, Ida Nadi, sleep on your right side to aid keeping your left nostril clear.
- Aromatherapy: Do you love using your diffuser? Or wear essential oils on your skin each day? If so, sandalwood is a worthwhile essential oil to purchase. Dap a little on your temples, third eye, throat chakra, wrists, and belly button. Per ayurvedic principles, your whole aura will be charged with this sweet fragrance that pacifies pitta.
- Moisturize Daily: Try mixing equal parts of unrefined coconut oil + castor oil in a glass bottle. Seal the bottle and warm this mixture in hot water until the oil is lukewarm – be sure to not overheat! Once your moisturizer is complete, apply to a thin coat to your entire body. This remedy is also useful in protecting your skin from potential damage caused by salt water and chlorine. Next time you hit the pool, add a layer to keep your skin supple and cool.